Riverside: Judicial: Externship Opportunities
Summer: (apply no earlier than December 15; closing date March 31)
The Honorable Virginia A. Phillips, United States District Judge, Central District of California, Eastern Division at Riverside, will entertain applications for externships for the time periods noted above. Applicants should be first, second or third year law students. Externs will research cases and statutes, analyze and summarize case files, review motions, draft memorandum opinions, cite-check orders and opinions, maintain the library, and provide related assistance as needed.
Applicants must have superior analytical and writing skills, as demonstrated by one or more of the following:
- previous employment which required significant amounts of analysis and writing;
- completion of a thesis or dissertation;
- high standing in a legal research and writing course or appellate advocacy class;
- membership on law journal;
- experience which is equivalent to one of the above items, or which demonstrates superior analytical and writing skills.
Externships are available on a part-time or full-time basis. Hours can be scheduled to accommodate class or work responsibilities.
Cover letter indicating:
- the period(s) during which externship is desired;
- whether a full-time or part-time position.
- a resume;
- a writing sample
the names and telephone numbers of two references with direct knowledge of your analytical and writing skills no later than the closing date for the desired position to:
The Honorable Virginia A. Phillips
United Stated District Judge
United States District Court
3470 Twelfth Street
Riverside, CA 92501