Coronavirus (COVID-19) Guidance

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Guidance


Frequently Asked Questions

  • I am a pro se litigant and I usually bring my documents to the courthouse to file in person – but I do have computer and internet access. Do I have options other than mail for submitting documents when the courthouses are closed?

    Yes.  You may submit your documents to the Court electronically through the Electronic Document Submission System (“EDSS”).  You may also apply for permission to e-file documents directly into the Court’s Case Management/Electronic Case Filing (“CM/ECF”) System in a particular case.  For more information, see

  • I am pro se and do not have computer/internet access. I always come in to personally file my documents and get my notices in the mail. If the court is closed for filing, how can I submit my documents as ordered by the judge without being penalized?

    Mail your documents to Clerk of Court at 255 East Temple Street, Suite TS-134, Los Angeles, CA 90012-3332. You will continue to receive notices and court-issued documents in the mail.

  • For criminal duty matters conducted at the Roybal Courthouse, may a family member or member of the media attend the hearing?

    Yes; however, social distancing must be observed in the courtroom.

  • Are chambers paper copies still required?

    Until further notice, all district judges and magistrate judges do not require mandatory chambers copies during the pandemic.

    Any judge can require a chambers copy in a particular case if desired. The chambers copy shall be mailed to the judge via Fed Ex. Chambers copy cannot be hand-delivered to the courthouse.

  • Will in-person hearings be held in any civil or criminal matters?

    In civil cases, all appearances will be by telephone or video conference; in criminal matters other than criminal bench duty matters, all appearances will be by telephone or video conference per Order of the Chief Judge 20-179. Criminal bench duty matters will be by telephone or video conference with the defendant’s consent and in court absent consent.

  • Should we expect instructions from the court regarding telephone or video conferences for civil hearings during the COOP period, or does counsel need to make a request for civil hearings to proceed by telephone or video conference?

    Counsel will receive notice from the Court if the matter will go forward by video or telephonic conference.

  • I have received a jury summons. Do I need to respond?

    Yes, you must respond to your jury summons.  You must complete and submit a Juror Qualification Questionnaire within 10 days.  Please visit our website at

  • I have jury service scheduled during the COOP period; will I be required to report for jury service?

    Please call (800)327-3296 or check your reporting instructions online as instructed on your summons.

  • I need to submit a pro hac vice application but certificates of good standing are not being issued due to COVID-19. Are certificates of good standing still required for submitting pro hac vice applications?

    You should prepare a declaration that the court you need a certificate of good standing from is closed or is not issuing certificates of good standing due to COVID-19 and attach the declaration to your application.

Contact us if you have questions related to COVID-19

* = required field

Enter your telephone number including area code
Enter your email address
Select a reason as to why you are contacting the Court
Please submit your question related to COVID-19. Be as detailed as possible.