Approved by the Ninth Circuit Judicial Council, June 28, 2005
Maximum Rates for Experts
- Psychiatrists and other medically licensed mental health experts, $150-$275 per hour
- Other Forensic experts, $125-$200 per hour
- Psychologists (Ph.D.), $150-$200 per hour
- Attorneys serving as experts, $160 per hour
- Any expert listed above testifying at a court proceeding, eight times the hourly rate per day or four times the hourly rate per half day.
Absent court and Judicial Council approval, experts may not exceed the maximum rates. In exceptional circumstances, when the need for services at a greater rate of compensation is documented and prior authorization is obtained from the Court and Judicial Council, compensation beyond the maximum may be paid.
Guidelines issued by the Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit permit payment for review of the record (e.g. written documents, pleadings, transcripts, etc.) at a rate of 60 pages per hour.