FAILURE TO COMPLY WITH THESE REQUIREMENTS MAY RESULT IN SANCTIONS.
Civil Case-Initiating Documents
Beginning December 1, 2014, attorneys must file all civil case-initiating documents electronically, unless exempted from electronic filing pursuant to Local Rule 5-4.2. Please visit the Attorney Civil Case Opening page  for more information. Attorneys who file civil case-initating documents that are exempted from electronic filing pursuant to Local Rule 5-4.2 should, in addition to filing the exempt documents in paper form at the Clerk's Office, e-mail conformed, “Filed”-stamped copies of all such documents to the Court in PDF format by close of business the following business day. E-mails should be directed to the division to which the case is assigned, as follows:
- Western Division: CivilIntakeCourtDocs-LA@cacd.uscourts.gov 
- Eastern Division: CivilIntakeCourtDocs-RS@cacd.uscourts.gov 
- Southern Division: CivilIntakeCourtDocs-SA@cacd.uscourts.gov 
SUBJECT LINE OF E-MAIL MUST INCLUDE BOTH DOCUMENT TYPE (complaint, notice of removal, etc.) AND CASE NUMBER. Sample: Complaint CV08-01234-ABC(SHx).
PLEASE NOTE that any documents filed in paper format concurrently with case-initiating documents must also be emailed to the Court in PDF format. Certain documents should be included in the same PDF file as the Complaint / Notice of Removal, while other documents must be sent as separate PDF files, as follows:
- Complaint / Notice of Removal, Notice of Assignment to Magistrate Judge for Discovery (CV- 18), Summons (CV-01A), and all pages of the Civil Cover Sheet (CV-71) as one PDF attachment.
- Certification and Notice of Interested Parties (CV-30) as a separate PDF attachment.
- AO-120 or AO-121 (for Patent, Trademark, Copyright cases only) as a separate PDF attachment.
- Any other documents filed in paper format simultaneously with the Complaint / Notice of Removal as separate PDF attachments.
Criminal Case-Initiating Documents
Pursuant to Local Criminal Rule 49-1.2(b)(2), criminal case-initiating documents (such as complaints, indictments, informations, redacted indictments/informations, superseding charging documents) must be filed with the Clerk in paper format, rather than electronically. In addition, conformed, “Filed”-stamped copies of all such documents must be e-mailed to the Court in PDF format by close of business the following business day. E-mails should be directed to the division to which the case is assigned, as follows:
- Western Division: CrimIntakeCourtDocs-LA@cacd.uscourts.gov 
- Southern Division: CrimIntakeCourtDocs-SA@cacd.uscourts.gov 
- Eastern Division: CrimIntakeCourtDocs-RS@cacd.uscourts.gov 
SUBSEQUENT DOCUMENTS E-MAILED TO ANY OF THE ABOVE ADDRESSES WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.