Printer-friendly versionPrinter-friendly version

Central Violations Bureau - Federal Ticket

About Your Violation Notice

A violation notice or "ticket" may be issued by a federal law enforcement officer for violations of certain federal laws and, if occurring on federal property, certain state laws. Violations include improper parking, illegal camping, speeding, civil disturbances, fish and wildlife infractions, and other offenses.

View Sample Violation Notice

Violation notices are mailed by law enforcement to the Central Violations Bureau (CVB) for processing. CVB will mail you a Notice to Appear in court approximately four (4) weeks prior to your court date. If you have not received a Notice to Appear within 45 days of receiving your ticket, call CVB at 800-827-2982.

If you wish to appear in court to contest your ticket, you must appear at the time, date, and court location indicated on your ticket or on your Notice to Appear.

For general information regarding your ticket or if you have moved since receiving your ticket, telephone CVB at 800-827-2982 during normal business hours.

Paying the Ticket

If an amount due is shown on your ticket or Notice to Appear, you may avoid appearing in court by paying the amount due. Tickets are paid directly to CVB. There are several ways in which you may make payment: 
  • You may pay by phone by calling 800-827-2982. 
  • You may pay your ticket on-line
  • You may mail a check or money order, payable to:
    Central Violations Bureau
    P.O. Box 780549
    San Antonio, TX 78278
  • You may mail in payment by credit card by completing the credit card form and sending it to CVB by mail.

If you pay the amount due as indicated on the ticket or notice before the court date, your case will be closed. You can call CVB at 800-827-2982 to verify the status of your ticket.

By paying the amount due you may be admitting to a criminal offense and a conviction may appear in a public record with adverse consequences to you. You have a right to know more about the charge against you, and you may obtain a complete statement of the charge by calling CVB at 800-827-2982. By paying the amount due you waive your right (1) to contest the ticket, (2) to a trial, and (3) to be represented by counsel. If you are charged with a motor-vehicle violation, your payment may be reported to your state’s motor-vehicle or driver-licensing agency. As a result, points may be assessed against your driving record, your license or registration may be suspended, and additional fees may be imposed by your state.

Mandatory Appearance

If your ticket is marked Mandatory Appearance – or if there is no amount due shown on your ticket or Notice to Appear – you must appear at the date, time, and court location indicated on your ticket or Notice to Appear.

Traffic School

Attending a driver's education course may be an option to prevent accumulating points or having your license suspended. If you are charged with a motor-vehicle moving violation and are considering this option, call CVB at 800-827-2982 for further information, or Check Traffic School Eligibility

Failure to Pay or Appear

If you fail to pay your fine or appear in court at the date and time scheduled on the ticket or Notice to Appear, the court may issue a summons ordering your appearance or issue a warrant for your arrest.

If you are charged with a motor vehicle violation, the court may also report your failure to pay or appear to the DMV of your state, which may affect your driving and/or registration privileges.