E-Filing Civil Case Opening

  • Do I have to email a PDF version of my complaint to the Civil Intake email inbox as is required by Local Rule 3-2?

    No.  If your case is eligible for the Attorney Case-Opening Pilot Project and you e-file your case-initiating documents, you do not need to email pdf versions of those documents to the Court.  Pursuant to General Order 14-01, all documents filed electronically in cases eligible for the Attorney Case-Opening Pilot Project are exempt from the pdf submission requirement of Local Rule 3-2.

  • I forgot to add a party when I filed my complaint electronically. Can I go back and add this party now?

    Yes. If a party is named in your complaint or other claim-initiating document, but you inadvertently failed to add that party when you electronically filed your document, you may add the missing party now using the CM/ECF event called "Add Additional Parties (Attorney Civil Case Opening)." See our guide, Instructions for Adding Additional Parties in CM/ECF for detailed instructions on how to use this event. However, you may not use this event to add a party unless that party is named in a claim-initiating document already on file in your case.

  • How do I add a large number of parties to a case? My CM/ECF session times out before I am able to add all parties named in my case.

    If you need to add more than 10 parties to your case, complete your initial filing by adding just the first 10 parties, and then use the CM/ECF event called "Add Additional Parties (Attorney Civi Case Opening)" to add the remaining parties to your case. See our guide, Instructions for Adding Additional Parties in CM/ECF, for detailed instructions on how to use this event.

  • Must attorneys open their own civil cases electronically?

    No.  At this time, opening civil cases under the Attorney Civil Case-Opening Pilot Project is optional, not mandatory.

  • Can I open any type of civil case electronically?

    Beginning February 18, 2014, attorneys may open civil cases and file most complaints and notices of removal electronically pursuant to the Court's Attorney Case-Opening Pilot Project. Refer to General Order General Order 14-01 for more information. For a short step-by-step demonstration, view the videos below. An Attorney Case-Opening Pilot Project User Manual is also available. The current Civil Cover Sheet, Form CV-71(11/13), must be used when opening new civil cases in CM/ECF.

    In order to become familiar with electronic filing of new civil cases under the pilot project, it is highly recommended that attorneys and/or support staff view the videos and review the Attorney Case-Opening Pilot Project Manual before attempting to open a new civil case. It is essential that attorneys maintain and update their personal contact account information, especially their e-mail addresses, in the Court's CM/ECF System before opening a new case.

    Have questions or need additional information? Contact:
    The CM/ECF Help Desk
    (213) 894-0242
    8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. PST Monday thru Friday


  • What other documents must be filed concurrently in electronic format when I open a civil case electronically?
    Civil Cover Sheet (Form CV-71, dated 10/14); Notice of Interested Parties (Form CV-30; see Local Rule 7.1-1); and, if applicable, the following documents: Corporate Disclosure Statement; Report on the Filing or Determination of an Action Regarding a Patent or Trademark (Form AO-120); Report on the Filing or Determination of an Action or Appeal Regarding a Copyright (Form AO-121); Notice of Related Cases; Notice of Pendency of Other Actions or Proceedings.  
  • Can I open a case 24 hours a day, 7 days a week?

    Yes.  A case will be deemed filed on the date the electronic submission of the complaint through CM/ECF, including all exhibits and attachments to that complaint, is completed, according to Pacific Standard Time or Pacific Daylight Time, whichever is in effect. 

  • What if I forgot to indicate related case(s) on the civil cover sheet?
    File a Notice of Related Cases (see Local Rule 83-1.3).
  • How do I file a sealed case?

    Sealed cases are not eligible for attorney case-opening under the Pilot Project.  All documents in sealed cases must be filed with the Clerk in paper format.

  • Which personal data identifiers should be redacted?
    Refer to Fed. R. Civ. P. 5.2 and Local Rules 5.2-1 and 5.2-2:
    • Dates of Birth: redact to the year of birth
    • Names of Minor Children: redact to the initials
    • Social Security Numbers or Taxpayer Identification Numbers: redact to the last four digits
    • Financial Accounting Information: redact to the last four digits
    • Home Addresses: redact to city and state
  • What is the size limit of a PDF document to be filed in CM/ECF?

    10 MB.  This size is not necessarily dependent on the number of pages of the document, as scanned documents generate larger file sizes than electronically generated PDF documents.  Please note that Local Rule 5-4.3.1 prohibits PDF images created by scanning paper documents  unless the document is an exhibit and the filer does not possess a word-processing-file version.  Attachments that exceed 10MB must be divided into sub-volumes.  Refer to Local Rule 5-4.3.1 for more information.

  • Can attorneys open their own criminal cases?

    No.  Not at this time.

  • How do I pay my filing fee?

    The filing fee must be paid online at the time the complaint is filed.  The fee must be paid by credit card using “pay.gov,” a secure government-wide collection portal, to which the CM/ECF system will direct the filer at the time of filing.  Information about “pay.gov” is available at pay.gov.

  • How do I file a complaint if I’m also filing a request to proceed in forma pauperis?

    A complaint must be filed manually if you are also filing a request to proceed in forma pauperis.  Do not open the case in the CM/ECF system.

  • Pay.gov is not working. Can I submit my filing fee a different way?

    If pay.gov is not working when you open your case and file the complaint, you should try again to pay the filing fee via Pay.gov within two business days using the civil event “Credit Card Payments.”  You may instead pay the fee in person at the Clerk’s Office Intake Section or mail it to the Clerk’s Office, but it must be received within two business days of the date of filing.

  • How do I get a judge assigned to the case?
    A judge is assigned to your case after the case is opened and reviewed by the Clerk.  You will receive a Notice of Electronic Filing with the judicial assignment(s).
  • How do I get a summons issued?
    You may file a proposed summons(es) electronically at the time you file the complaint.  If you do not file a proposed summons(es) electronically at the time you file the complaint, you may file a request for issuance of summons at a later date within the prescribed time frame set forth in the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure.  The Clerk’s Office will issue the official summons(es) electronically after a judge is assigned to the case.  You will receive a Notice of Electronic Filing (NEF) when the Clerk's Office enters it on the docket. Upon receipt of the NEF, you may print copies of the summons(es) for service on each defendant.
  • I forgot to enter a named party! How do I add that party to the docket?

    Clerk’s Office staff will review the complaint to verify party information, and will add any missing parties to the docket.

  • I added a party in error. How do I remove the party from the docket?
    Clerk’s Office staff will review the complaint to verify party information, and will remove any parties added in error.
  • Where is the event to file the civil cover sheet?
    On the Civil Events screen, it’s under the Other Filings category.  Click on Miscellaneous Filings (Non-Motion).  Select Civil Cover Sheet (CV-71) from the Available Events menu. 
  • I filed a case and my personal contact information is incorrect on the docket. How do I correct it?
    You must log in to your CM/ECF account and update your information directly in the CM/ECF System.  BE SURE YOUR E-MAIL ADDRESS IS CORRECT.  See Local Rule 5-4.8.1. Visit http://www.cacd.uscourts.gov/attorneys for instructions on updating an attorney’s business or contact information.
  • Do I have to deliver a mandatory chambers copy of my complaint to the assigned judge?
    Yes.  Local Rule 5-4.5, regarding the delivery of mandatory chambers copies, continues to apply to all electronically filed documents – including complaints and other documents filed electronically under the Attorney Case-Opening Pilot Project.  Mandatory chambers copies of the complaints must include the NEF of the notice of assignment of judge attached as the first page.