Technical CM/ECF Related Questions
Which browsers work with CM/ECF?
The following internet browsers have been tested and approved for use with CM/ECF:
- Internet Explorer 6.0 and higher
Mozilla Firefox 2.0 and higher
I have logged into CM/ECF but I do not get all of the docket entries on the Docket Sheet. Why is that happening?
Make sure that the Filed/Entered Dates on the report criteria selection screen cover the appropriate dates.
The cache on your computer may be full. Cache is a location on your hard drive but your browser where data is stored. When you search the Internet, your browser keeps track of every page you have visited and saves this information on your hard drive. If this file becomes large (i.e., many pages have been searched), the result may be a loss of data. Clear your cache and Internet files from whichever browser you are using.
Is there anything that Macintosh Users need to be aware of in filing documents?
CM/ECF was not developed for use on a MAC and the court does not support Safari.
Make sure the files have extensions on the end of the file name (.pdf, .doc, .wpd, .txt, etc.). The file name "MOTION" will not work for the CM/ECF system but " MOTION.PDF" will work.
Why is my CM/ECF session freezing?
There are several issues that may cause your CM session to freeze:
- If you are accessing CM/ECF through a DSL or dial-up connection, your Internet Service Provider (ISP) may be having issues and you are no longer connected.
- Check the Court's Website for announcements regarding CM/ECF issues. If no announced issues, wait for a few minutes and try e-filing again.
- If you find your session freezing after you have hit "NEXT", try using the Back button to return to the previous screen and click on NEXT again. The freezing can be due to a halt in the session which is common m behavior for web-based applications
- If you click on the Back button and "receive a page cannot be displayed error message" ; click on the Back button once more. The error means that your document has not been attached and you'll need to reattach your documents. It maybe better to start over; so the issue does not happen again .
- If the freezing appears after clicking on the "SUBMIT" button, please be patient. If you have a large document, it will take time for the system to upload it into CM. If the NEF is not displayed after several minutes, check the case docket sheet to see if the document (s) was filed successfully. If the document(s) were NOT successfully filed call the ECF Help Desk for assistance and DO NOT RE-FILE the documents.
How do I know if my electronic filing was successful?
The last screen you see when you electronically file a document is a copy of the Notice of Electronic Filing (NEF). If you see the NEF, you know that your filing was successful. Another way to verify your filing is to view a copy of the case docket. If you do this, PACER fees may be incurred.
Why can I not view a document from an e-mail (NEF)notifying me that something was filed?
Make sure your email system is set to open links with the Internet Browser or Firefox browser (depending on your default browser). If you get a login screen when you click on the document hyperlink from within the NEF, make sure you enter your ECF User login not your PACER login.
If someone else, who is authorized to use your ECF User login, has already viewed the document, your one free look will have expired and you will need to login to PACER and are subject to PACER fees.
The first time a document is viewed using the linked document in an e-mail notice (NEF), it will be free. Anytime after the first viewing, you will be charged to view the document. The document should be saved to your local hard drive during your first view. If you have given your login information to staff, the first one to view the document using your login information gets the free look. After that PACER charges are incurred.
What kind of notification does the attorney of record receive on a case?
All registered CM/ECF users will receive an email notification, Notice of Electronic Filing (NEF), of all filings, which includes a hyperlink to the document. Participants who are not registered must be mailed a copy of the filing by the attorney filing electronically.hese notices can be received in either Summary or Individual format.