Honorable Rozella A. Oliver
United States Courthouse, 312 N. Spring St., Los Angeles, CA, 90012, Courtroom F, 9th Floor
Law and Motion Schedule:
- Civil Motions: Civil Motions are heard on Wednesdays at 10:00 a.m. It is not necessary to clear a civil motion date with the Courtroom Deputy Clerk (CRD) prior to filing the motion. The Court may take any motion under submission without oral argument.
- Discovery Motions: The parties may file discovery motions with Judge Oliver only if the assigned district judge has so directed. Counsel are advised to review the procedures and standing orders of the assigned judge before filing discovery motions. Strict compliance with Local Civil Rule 37 is required.
- Parties in Custody; Hearing Dates: If any party is in state or federal custody and is proceeding pro se, the moving party must file the motion without requesting a hearing date. The Court will review the pleadings and determine whether a hearing is necessary.
- Settlement Conferences: Parties should contact the CRD about available dates for settlement conferences. All settlement conference papers shall be submitted at least seven (7) days prior to the conference and delivered directly to chambers. In lieu of personal delivery, settlement conference papers may be emailed to RAO_Chambers@cacd.uscourts.gov if the total number of pages being emailed is 20 or less.
- Ex Parte Applications: Strict compliance with Local Civil Rule 7-19 and 7-19.1 is required. Any opposition to an ex parte application should be filed and served no later than noon on the first court day following service of the application. Conformed paper copies of the filed application and any opposition must be delivered directly to chambers. Ex parte applications will generally be decided on the papers, without oral argument. The Court will notify the parties if a hearing is desired.
- Continuances: Continuances of scheduled court proceedings will only be granted on showing of good cause. To request a continuance, the parties must submit a signed stipulation and proposed order at least three (3) business days prior to the proceeding. If the opposing party will not agree to the continuance, the requesting party may file an ex parte application for continuance stating its and the opposing party’s respective positions. In either case, the parties should notify the CRD as soon as possible upon discovering the need to reschedule.
- Requests for Filing Extensions: Requests to extend any scheduled filing date (either by ex parte application or stipulation) must be filed at least three (3) days prior to the scheduled date. Extensions are not allowed absent permission of the Court given on showing of good cause.
- Stipulated Protective Orders: If the parties in a civil action wish to have a protective order entered regarding discovery, the Court encourages the parties to amend and use the preferred form order (available below).
- Under Seal Documents (Civil and Criminal): CIVIL CASES: Electronic Submission and Filing of Under Seal Documents: A party seeking to file materials for Civil cases under seal must first file the application electronically via the CM/ECF system. After filing the application electronically, the moving party will e-mail the application and a PDF version of the materials to be filed under seal to chambers (RAO_Chambers@cacd.uscourts.gov). The subject line of the e-mail must bear the name and number, and include “UNDER SEAL REQUEST”. Judge Oliver is still participating in the Pilot Project for Electronic Submission and Filing of Under Seal Documents for Criminal cases. The previously mentioned procedures will also apply to the filing of documents for Criminal cases.
- Telephonic Appearances: Any party who wishes to appear to a hearing by telephone shall make such a request at least two (2) business days prior to the hearing. Telephonic appearances will not be allowed absent prior approval of the Court given on showing of good cause.
- Special Appearances: The Court does not permit special appearances. Counsel of record must appear at all court proceedings.
- Transcripts: For general information on ordering transcripts of a reported or digitally recorded proceeding, please call 213-894-3015 or visit the court website (www.cacd.uscourts.gov) section referring to Court Reporting Services, located under “Clerk Services”. To determine the court reporter/recorder for a proceeding, go to the Court Reporter Schedule web page and click on “View by Date”. Once you have determined the correct court reporter/recorder for the proceeding, click on Court Reporter Phone and Email List for contact information.
- Law Clerk/Extern Positions: Questions regarding law clerk / extern positions should be communicated via letter to the magistrate judge.