Honorable Dean D. Pregerson
United States Courthouse, 350 West 1st Street, Los Angeles, CA. 90012 - Courtroom 9C
Counsel shall set matters for hearing pursuant to the Local Rules of the Court and ensure compliance with notice requirements.
Civil Motions - Mondays at 10:00 a.m. only
Criminal Motions - Mondays at 1:30 p.m. only
CASE MANAGEMENT Scheduling Conference: Mondays, 2:00 p.m. Civil Pretrial Conference: Mondays, 11:00 a.m.
MOTIONS - CIVIL: Mondays, 10:00 a.m. only
TRIALS: Tues-Fri, 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. with a lunch break and short breaks in the morning and afternoon.
- Follow the local rules and federal rules of procedure.
- All papers filed with the Court must conform to Local Rule 11-3.1.1, which generally requires typeface of 14 point or larger for Times New Roman and 12 point or larger for Courier.
- Under Seal Filings in Civil Cases: Counsel are ORDERED to follow the procedures outlined in L.R. 79-5. 79-6 and 79-7. See http://www.cacd.uscourts.gov/e-filing/sealed-documents. Under Seal "cooperator" documents should NOT be linked to the defendant.
- the witnesses all parties intend to call during their respective cases, and the amount of time necessary for direct and cross examination of each witness;
- any anticipated problems in scheduling witnesses;
- any evidentiary issues, including anticipated objections under Rule 403 and objections to exhibits;
- jury selection procedures;
- all pretrial motions, including motions in limine, to bifurcate, and to sever;
- any disputed jury instructions, and the form of the instructions which will be given to the jury at the outset of the case, i.e., before opening statements and presentation of evidence;
- whether any counsel intends to use any evidence or demonstrative aid in opening statement; and
- motions to exclude witnesses from the courtroom during trial testimony.
Twenty-one (21) days prior to the Final Pretrial Conference:
- Memorandum of Contentions of Fact and Law
- Witness Lists
- Joint Exhibit List
- Motions in Limine
Fourteen (14) days before the Final Pretrial Conference:
- Oppositions to Motions in Limine
Seven (7) days before the Final Pretrial Conference:
- Replies in support of Motions in Limine
- Proposed Final Pretrial Conference Order
- Proposed Jury Instructions
- Proposed Verdict Forms
- Statement of the Case
- Proposed additional voir dire questions, if desired
- Trial Briefs
The parties shall provide Courtesy Copies of all of the above.
XV. LAW CLERK & EXTERN APPLICANTS: