Services Provided by the Records Department
The Records Department is not authorized to interpret the legal status of any case.
Copies of Court Documents
- Uncertified copies are $0.50 per page and may be purchased from the Clerk's Office intake window from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.
- Certifications are charged at $11.00 per document, and an additional $0.50 per page.
- Only copies of original court documents on file can be certified.
- Effective October 1, 2015, once you have submitted your copy request for court documents and have paid the fee, the clerk will notify you by telephone or email when your copy order is available for pick-up. After this notification takes place, you have thirty (30) calendar days to pick up your order. If you do not pick up your order within the thirty-day period, your order will be destroyed and any fees previously collected by the clerk will be forfeited. If you wish to obtain copies of the same documents previously ordered after the thirty-day period, you must initiate a new copy request and pay any fees associated with your order.
Archive Records Request
- For retrieval of one box of records from the Federal Records Center, a $64.00 non-refundable fee is required. For retrievals involving multiple boxes, a $39.00 fee for each additional box is required.
- To determine if a case is archived, please contact the records department by email at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Effective October 1, 2015, once the clerk receives the files or documents you ordered from the Federal Records Center, you will be notified by telephone or email. After this notification takes place, you have thirty (30) calendar days to either come to the Clerk’s Office to review the files or documents you ordered or to order copies of them. If you do not review your order within the thirty-day period, the clerk will return the files or documents to the Federal Records Center and any fees previously collected by the clerk will be forfeited. If you wish to review the files or documents after the thirty-day period, you must initiate a new records request and pay any fees associated with your order.
Name and Case Index 1992 to the Present (within the Central District of California only)
- A non-refundable fee of $30.00 will be charged for any name index searched.
- Please provide exact name to search, time frame; date of birth; Social Security Number, and case type/s (criminal and/or civil).
- A certificate of search will be provided upon completion of index. Form G-54.
Name and Case Index 1992 and Prior (within the Central District of California only)
- Please contact the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) at (951) 956-2000, via email: Riverside.Archives@NARA.gov for further assistance.
- An exemplified copy of a document is an official certificate signed by a judge certifying that the document is a complete, true and correct copy of the original document. An exemplified document can also be used as an official document like a certified document. When a document is exemplified, the correspondence clerk must complete an “Exemplification Certificate.” Form G-07
- A non-refundable fee of $21.00 will be charged for any exemplifications, and an additional $0.50 per page, and $11.00 for certification of the document if needed.
- Apostiles services are only provided for court documents pertaining to the Central District of California, Federal Court.
- A non-refundable fee of $21.00 is required to process this service.
- For copies of transcripts, please contact the Court Reporter’s Office General Information Line: 213-894-3015.
The records department will not process your request until full payment is received.
*******The above quoted rates are established pursuant to Title 26, Section 1914 of the United States Code.*******
- If counsel are required to use the court's exhibit tags, the tags can be obtained from the Clerk’s Office Records Department in Los Angeles, Santa Ana, or Riverside.
- Please make remittance in the form of a cashier’s check, certified bank check, business or corporate check, or a money order drawn on a major American bank or the United States Postal Service, payable to "Clerk, U.S. District Court." See a complete list of fees.
- Personal checks or checks drawn on non-business accounts will not be accepted.
- Credit cards are only accepted in person at our fiscal office 312 N. Spring Street, Room 529 Los Angeles CA, 90012.
Submitting a Request
- email@example.com (Western Division cases)
- firstname.lastname@example.org (Southern Division cases)
- email@example.com (Eastern Division cases)
Central District of California
Los Angeles Courthouse
Attention Correspondence Clerk
312 N. Spring Street, Room G-8
Los Angeles, CA 90012
Central District of California
Santa Ana Courthouse
411 West Fourth Street, Room 1053
Santa Ana, CA 92701-4516
Central District of California
3470 Twelfth Street, Room 134
Riverside, CA 92501
Office hours for all three divisions: 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, with the exception of federal holidays.
Viewing Court Records
Case Naming Conventions
|Division||Year||Case Type||Case Number|
Los Angeles = LA or 2, Riverside = ED or 5, Santa Ana = SA or 8
Use two digit numbers for the year.
CV = Civil Case, CR = Criminal Case, MJ = Magistrate Case, MC/CM = Miscellaneous
Case numbers have a maximum of five digits
We invite customers to take advantage of the “Public Access to Court Electronic Records” or PACER service. PACER is a browser based electronic retrieval system that provides criminal and civil summaries and docket information using a computer terminal. PACER also provides access to scanned civil judgments, order and minute orders. To establish a PACER account, contact the PACER Service Center at http://pacer.psc.uscourts.gov/ or 800-676-6856.
- If you are in the Los Angeles area, you are welcome to come into our offices at 312 N. Spring Street (corner of Spring and Temple), Room G-8, to search our public computer terminals for the information you are seeking. Once found, you may arrange for the copy service to prepare uncertified copies.