Obtaining a Subpoena

Printer-friendly versionPrinter-friendly version

A party with a case pending in the United States District Court for the Central District of California may request, by mail or in person, that the clerk issue a subpoena.

A request by mail must include:

  1. A cover letter containing the request for a subpoena, including the case name and case number;
  2. A subpoena form (AO-88, AO-88A or AO-88B); and
  3. A self-addressed stamped envelope.

A party may request a subpoena in person in Room from the intake window at any of the Court's three divisions. The party must bring a subpoena form (AO-88, AO-88A or AO-088B) and be prepared to provide the case name and case number. The clerk will issue a subpoena, signed but otherwise in blank, to the requesting party. The party must complete the subpoena before service. See Fed.R.Civ.P. 45(a)(1)(A).

An attorney who is a member of the Bar of this Court may also issue a subpoena from this Court. See Fed.R.Civ.P. 45(a)(3).

Refer to Fed.R.Civ.P. 45 for additional information.